TOBO: Tohono O'odham Basketweavers Organization

For decades, Tohono O'odham weavers have been dependent upon the traders who visit their villages, taking advantage of the weavers' isolation and economic hardship. The weaver often receives just 5% to 25% of a basket's retail value from the trader.

 

Im 1996, TOCA’s Tohono O’odham Basketweavers Organization (TOBO) began to offer  weavers a positive alternative. By working together, weavers are able to reach new markets. As a non-profit organization, TOCA is able to ensure that 75% or more of the retail price goes to the artists. The remaining 25% supports TOCA's educational efforts and activities that benefit weavers.

 

Your purchase of baskets preserves Tohono O'odham basketry traditions and supports culturally appropriate economic development on the Tohono O'odham Nation.